personal

Storytime: The Day I Lost My Phone

March 07, 2017


First mistake: I always told myself that I would never lose my phone. Meaning, I barely backed up any of my information and I didn't save any of it to my other devices.

I used my phone for everything. I had thousands of photos with great memories... All my personal accounts were being used 24/7, such as my social media platforms to connect with friends and family.  I basically had all my information being held in this device, if one was to look through it, you would know everything about me.

I dont understand... one would think that if you are always using your phone, you would always know where it is. In actual truth, this is FALSE.

You may never know what can happen to your mobile devices, and after today I will never make the same mistake.

Lets rewind...

It was March 7, 2017 as I was visiting my hometown, Hong Kong. (Lets just acknowledge that I am not even home and I am traveling overseas.) It was a great day as I was visiting my old school and friends.

I got to meet many people that I haven't seen in over 2 years and I was very excited. The day started with me taking great photos of the city itself with my sister, Sophie. We walked through the streets with our cameras ready, trying to take the perfect shot. As it was my 4th day in Hong Kong, I had already collected a full album of pictures I was ready to post for my blog.

After visiting my school I decided to hang out with some of my prior classmates. We went to "Central" consisting of many shops and places to eat. Being me, we obviously went to Starbucks. We had a good time as we were catching up on everything we missed in each others lives. It was fun.

We decided to take a taxi back home. We were chatting away in the back of the taxi with my phone on my lap. Here is where it gets complicated...

When it finally reached my stop, I'm not 100% sure of what happened exactly but I must have put my phone down to give hugs to all my friends. It was hard getting off the taxi since there was a limited amount of space, meaning I must have rushed out. As I was walking to my hotel I wanted to check in with my family and by the time I noticed I didn't have my phone, I panicked. I immediately rush back to the street to find out that the taxi has already left.

Long story short - My friends never found my phone and my life was over. jk. But, in all seriousness, I am truly shocked and upset. I never thought that this would happen to me... I am heartbroken.

I know its only an object, but just the thought of losing all my information (photos, open emails, contacts, social media accounts) and leaving it in the hands of another is truly daunting. I will miss all the photos that I have taken, especially since I hold memories sentimental to the heart.

P.S. can we also just mention, that I am going to have to pay for the cost of a new phone... :/

Well, this is it. Hopefully, this would only happen once in my life, and I will learn from this experience.

Please share this with friends and family. I would love to spread the awareness of how important it is to back up and save all your information.

You never know what might happen.



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. OMG I am so so sorry that you lost your phone! I really thought you were gonna say you ended up finding it! I would be so lost without it and the idea of losing all your stuff sucks. Hopefully you have most of it backed up. In spite of that, your next phone is gonna be even better!

    Danielle | FollowMyGut.com <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Unfortunately, lesson learned 😅

      Delete
  2. That's terrible, I'm sorry this happened to you! I know it's 'just a phone,' but actually, they contain a lot of our lives on them. I'm always glued to my phone and I get worried if, for a second, I don't know where it is. Hope you get a new one soon!

    -Alicia. x


    http://www.serenitylifeblog.com | Lifestyle & Advice

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment!
Comments are greatly appreciated! xx

Followers

Instagram